I remember the first time I watched Sound of Music with Julie Andrews. I believe it was during Christmas, and I sat enraptured by the beautiful vistas, the romance, and the singing…oh, yes, the singing.
Raindrops on roses
And whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
Singing the words to My Favorite Things—one of the best songs in the movie (in my humble opinion)—seems a little silly nowadays.
Not many people notice raindrops on roses or truly enjoy bright copper kettles.
And yet, it still makes me smile, probably because it celebrates something I really do enjoy—the little things.
Singing the words to My Favorite Things—one of the best songs in the movie Sound of Music (in my humble opinion)—seems a little silly nowadays. Not many people notice raindrops on roses or truly enjoy bright copper kettles. And yet, it still makes me smile, probably because it celebrates something I really do enjoy—the little things.
With that in mind, here are a few of my favorite things…
- A warm, cozy fire
- Wrapping my hands around a hot drink like an eggnog latte, romano, peppermint mocha, chamomile tea…any and all of the above
- Warm clothes, fresh from the dryer
- Strings of white lights
- Sleeping during the day with deep, happy dreams
- A book with a great story that I end up reading all day and night because I cannot put it down
- A song that resonates with my current circumstances so much that I must listen to it over and over again, at least 100 times.
- Eating a dinner of homemade steak and pomme frites with garlic aioli on Valentine’s Day or corn beef and cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day
- Watching a funny, sweet, light-hearted movie or tv show (confession: Hallmark is probably involved)
- Freshly fallen snow in the early morning when everything is quiet and bright
- Standing in a beautiful place looking out over an even more heavenly view like mountains and trees or ocean waves
- Winning a trivia game against Handsome (has only happened twice, so far)
- Holding hands for connection or for support or just because
- Sharing a smile, especially if it is a knowing smile, an “I know what you are thinking, and I’m thinking the exact same thing!” kind of smile.
- Laughing uncontrollably with a really good friend who is laughing uncontrollably with me
- Being held
- Kisses! The toe-curling, heart-stopping, can’t breathe cause this is wonderful kind of kisses
I hope you enjoy a few of your favorite things this Christmas.